Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Off to Pakistan to help - August 3, 2010

3 August 2010

PAKISTAN FLOOD DEATH TOLL ‘PASSES 11000 - BBC

FOOD FEARS FOR PAKISTAN FLOOD SURVIVORS – AFP

FLOODS RAVAGE PAKISTAN VALLEY THAT ENDURED TALIBAN – AP



Hello from Afghanistan. I’m a Marine Corps broadcast journalist and I have the best job in the military: I get to report on what U.S. service members are doing night and day to answer those recent headlines above.

There’s a good chance I could be classified as the walking dead right now, but it’s completely worth it! I’ve been up three days straight with very little sleep. I got the awesome opportunity to report on a group of airmen in a C-17 that delivered relief, via food and shelter, to the people of Pakistan devastated by historic flooding.

At AFN (American Forces Network) Afghanistan, we cover everything from combat operations to humanitarian missions. I’m always amazed at how fast the American military can spin up to provide help to those most affected by natural disasters. The strength, determination and resolve of individual soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines make me proud to be a part of the brotherhood.

Always being ready is key to our job – you never know when news will break. It’s up to us to be there to cover and tell the public what happened. I was notified about a mission into Pakistan to deliver thousands of pounds of food, late one afternoon. After some scrambling and coordination, I had all my gear and was on the Bagram Air Field flight line covering U.S. soldiers taking boxes and boxes full of Halal (culturally sensitive) Meals Ready to Eat (or MRE’s) and creating huge pallets to load on to Air Force cargo aircraft.

I got to interview soldiers who had been working the last three nights to support the Pakistanis. Always
looking for the next best different shot, I climbed up a metal beam structure and shot some great angles. I even shot the stand-up for ABC Nightly News reporter, Nick Schifrin, for this video story that aired on ABC later that night. When he saw me hanging up there for a shot, he had to have the same. (Marines lead the way!!)

After some 75-thousand pounds of food was loaded into the Charleston, S.C. based C-17, we taxied down the Bagram flight line and started our trek. I was surprised the ride was so short. It only took us 45-minutes to get to Peshawar International Airport in Pakistan.

Tensions and excitement were high as none of us had ever stepped foot into Pakistan – but when we did, we felt it. Immediately the sweat started pouring; not from the 60 pounds of gear on me but the incredible humidity. I’ve been to the Philippines, and all around the Pacific, yet nothing compared
to the humidity in Pakistan. We definitely didn’t expect it, since we were so close to neighboring Afghanistan. What made things worse was the transition from a nice, cold, aircraft cargo bay to a ninety percent humidity, stuffy tarmac. My video camera lens fogged up so badly I couldn’t shoot any usable footage for nearly15-minutes until both myself and the camera got acclimated!

Once I did get ‘rolling’ again, it was great to see the interactions between the Pakistani reps and the Americans. No matter what language barriers exist, the thing I’ve always learned is that a smile can break down barriers and say it all. That’s what I saw a lot of this night.

After three hours on the ground we said our goodbyes, pulled up chalks and flew away. The magnitude of the disaster was great, but "hopefully" everyone thought this flight, our efforts, would help some. It was two in the morning by the time the plane even took off and I used the 45 minutes of travel time to execute a combat nap. I didn’t wake until we hit the 9-thousand feet of concrete back on Afghanistan on Bagram Air Field.

I must say, while the trip was short, it meant a lot to me to be able to go. Not only to say I’ve been to Pakistan, but to say I was involved in a humanitarian mission from the USA. While I didn’t fly the plane, load the supplies or unload the supplies – it was my mission to document and bring the great work of our troops back home. I was honored to be a part of it.

God Bless,
SSgt Jeremy Vought


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your dispatch and, as always, your service and sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete