Sunday, June 20, 2010

"HAPPY FATHERS DAY"

20 June 2010

It is Sunday here and I have much of the day off. I woke up late, went for my first run (felt like I haven't run in months) and here sitting on my rack. Today is my time to reflect as a father, son and grandson.

I thank God for my father. It was God who gave I him: God who gave he I; but he who introduced Jesus to I - the greatest gift a father can give his children. I didn't grow up in the richest family. He worked hard to provide for us and for that I'm grateful. Times may have been tough occasionally, but I always had food in my belly and a roof over my head. From an early age we knew the Bible stories and songs. I still have recordings of my father playing the guitar and me singing a Bible song - my mother helping me in the background. Memories like that stick. He gave me a love for music, the outdoors, family and sports.

Going through the rough adolescent years as I pushed away, I wish I would have learned more from him and stuck closer. For that I'm sorry Dad. He is the first person I call for advice and counsel. I would trust his word above just about everyone's. He has been a great Christian man in my life and I thank God for that gift. I recently heard a quote about the luck of a person: "Being lucky is being born in the United States to two loving, dedicated parents." I am lucky. Thank you Dad. I love you. Wish I could be there now to tell you in person.

As a father now, it is my duty to do all the things and provide for my daughter just like my father raised me. I have so much room to grow, but with God's (and my beautiful wife's) helpI will get there. To my, Alyssa. I love you and am so proud to be your father. Everything changed the day I first saw her. It is truly a transforming experience.

Also, to my Grandfathers. You men have both shaped me, guided me and loved me. The memories I have with each of you will stick for a lifetime. Thank you for those. You've both been an integral part of my life as well.

I love you all.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome comments about how important a Christian heritage is, passed down from one generation to the next. Well bud, you've just been added to my prayer list. My friend, Elliot Sheffield is back home safe & sound, so now Lord, I ask that you watch over Jeremy Vought. And, continue to watch over my very best friend, with whom I have lost touch, Capt. Jayson L. Palmer.
    Jeremy, here's what I used to tell Jay every day until e-mail contact was cut off - stay safe. Keep vigilant. Come back home whole in body, mind, and spirit. I pray the same for you.
    Larry Williams

    ReplyDelete